There are few things better than waking up to the smell of pancakes on a wintry morning. But, when you’re trying to get fit, pancakes are rarely on the menu. These are light and fluffy like regular pancakes, but thanks to the addition of whey protein, they also pack a high-protein punch. And, since they’re made without wheat, they’re gluten-friendly too.The spice mix of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg creates more than you’ll use in the pancake batter, but you can save it in an airtight container and use it on top of oatmeal or in a smoothie to infuse it with that classic gingerbread flavor.
Total Time: 20 min.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.
Yield: Makes 3 servings, 2 pancakes each
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 scoop whey protein powder, vanilla flavor, or equivalent (or Beachbody Base Shake)
⅓ cup reduced fat (1%) plain Greek yogurt
4 large egg whites (½ cup)
¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 Tbsp. coconut flour
1 tsp. spice mix (see below)
½ tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. molasses (Blackstrap if possible)
Nonstick cooking spray
¼ medium pear, cut into bite-sized chunks (optional)
1. To make spice mix, combine cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
2. Combine protein powder, yogurt, egg whites, oats, coconut flour, 1 tsp. spice mix, baking powder, and molasses in a medium bowl; mix well.
3. Heat large nonstick skillet lightly coated with spray over medium heat.
4. Ladle about ¼ cup batter for each pancake; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until bubbles form on top. Flip. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Repeat until all batter is used.
6. Serve two pancakes topped with pear, if desired; serve immediately.